Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Funerals, Family, ...and "making" Concrete


Today there was a funeral...which as we all know is like a wedding. People gather, people are reacquainted; people meet for the first time; new discoveries; news; hugs; tears; babies and wheelchairs .... good-byes.

Today there was a funeral. I was tired when I returned home this evening. I took a nap which turned into deep restful sleep ... until 11:56PM. I awoke with a start. OH NO ~~ it is almost midnight and there is no blog posting for today !! Not that the world is out there waiting with great anticipation about my latest views on life. I have yet to reach the stature of Paul Harvey and Andy Rooney.

At the funeral "after-party" ~ being pegged the 'instigator' (I prefer to be referred to as an INITIATOR) ~ I proposed that the 38 cousins have a reunion. No parents - no spouses - no kids - just cousins. It would be a first - hopefully the first of more than one. "But we don't know each other!" That's the point -

Kathleen suggested, before the cousin event, everyone will put one "unknown" fact/story about themselves in a jar. (Why a jar? - Why not a box? Umm - curious) As the pieces of paper are one by one removed and read ... a new world will unfold. It is called family. It is called life. We will find a common thread ..

The cousins present at the discussion have already set Bennington, Vermont as the place. That is the "birthplace" of the Roy family. Now we need a date -

It is after midnight now and I have written. Why did I have to write tonight ? Writing makes 'things' concrete. I want this commitment to get to know my cousins, to be in writing. To be concrete. I want it to happen. Because as with today's funeral .. a family member dies .. and unless the stories of life are told, are shared, before the final breath is taken, like the soul ~~ the stories will be taken away ... and they will be missed.

They will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment