Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pet 'Passages'


What a little ball of mischief ~
Glancing thru my photos reminded me of the transitions/life changes that have occurred in the feline members of my household.

July 23rd of last year, I was out enjoying a “girls day” with my friend “D” …. One commonality that brought us together was our love of cats, more specifically, black cats. The ‘cat-love-of-my-life’ Swampcat and “D”s cat, Minky, whose most notable characteristic is a severe overbite.

“D” and I both realized we needed cat food. At the time, Duri was the ‘King Cat’ of my household. “D” and I walked into Petsmart, when we became distracted by an adoption clinic. I immediately gravitated toward the black kittens. “D” said, “You cannot replace Swampcat, so forget the black ones.” She promptly pointed out a bold little tuxedo kitten who was determined someone was going to take him home. I was hesitant until “D” noted “He has your personality !” To that the “adoption lady” added that he was affectionate and had the traits of a great mouser. SOLD !

I paid my $75 and put the little guy in a box. Time to go home to introduce him to Spike and Duri.

I wanted to name him Roger after my dear friend …. but Roger made it clear that if we were to remain friends, the kitten would not be named after him. So – the next best name was Norland … after the street Roger and I lived on in Norfolk … Norland Circle.

Introductions did not go well. Duri wanted no part of Norland … Spike just looked at me with a “Did we really need another cat?” look.

As the weeks and months passed …. Duri grew to dislike Norland more and more each day. Spike grew to love Norland because Norland would gently groom Spike everyday, something that dear little dog loves.


Norland grew and grew and grew and grew. At 6 months, he was 12 pounds. Duri was holding fast at 6 pounds at 2 years of age. Norland figured this out and found great amusement in walking by Duri and knocking him over. The household was constantly filled with the sound of a “thud” followed by Duri’s hissing.

Then on January 9th of this year …. I came home from work, fed the critters, then Duri wanted to go out. Duri never came back. It was later discovered that 4 cats in the neighborhood had disappeared in a short period of weeks…. One found half eaten. A predator got Duri … probably a Fisher Cat or fox.

Regardless…. There is an emptiness in the house and the neighborhood …. Beautiful Duri is gone. Miss ya fella ~~

Duri

No comments:

Post a Comment