Friday, April 22, 2011

Maupin and Mouse and Melancholy


A delightful day today... sewing ... and revisiting an 'old friend.' I have been listening to an audiobook, read by the author, Armistead Maupin. Such talent.

The 'old friend' I am revisiting is one of the author's memorable characters, Michael Tolliver ~ affectionately called "Mouse" in the earlier Tales of the City books.

Armistead Maupin's voice reminds me of Roger .. the dear friend who introduced me to this fascinating series with colorful characters. But Michael is older now, as is Anna Madrigal, and Mona has died. I had loved the youthful and full of life characters in the previous books...through them reliving the carefree 60's and 70's.

I am totally immersed in "Michael Tolliver Lives" ~~ but for some reason, more so than with other books or series of books I've enjoyed, it is a reminder that we are all getting older, my friends, my family, and me. Maybe because this sequel takes place when Michael is 55 years old .. my exact age. For whatever inexplicable reason .. Mr. Maupin has caused me to be very cognisant of the physical and emotional changes of aging.

Here's a toast to Mr. Maupin who had stirred within me the wonderous joy of my youth .. and now has aroused within me the realities of aging. A melancholy day ...

No comments:

Post a Comment