Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Little Details 'They' Forget To Tell Ya .....


Those who know me, know my never ending quest to "GoGreen" and remove all chemicals from my bathing, beauty and cleaning routines at home. Potent chemicals have given way to non-toxic (mostly organic) natural alternatives.

Cleaning and laundry supplies now include Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds, vinegar, essential oils, baking soda, borax, and beeswax.

Health and beauty/bathing includes organic homemade soaps for bathing/shampooing, peroxide for mouthwash; flouride free toothpaste; natural oils for moisturizing vs. commercial lotions; cornstarch instead of talc ... well, you get the idea.

Since I don't use conditioners in my hair - I needed something to make it shiny and healthy ... so I checked out the internet for ideas. It was then, an old solution came back to me from decades ago - a suggestion from my Aunt Bea, a hairdresser. BEER !!

I remember using beer to rinse hair and it also made a good styling medium. Off I went to Fresh Market to buy a bottle or two of beer ... ORGANIC, of course.

The next time I washed my hair = I used the beer rinse. As promised, the beer smell disappears when the hair dries. YUP ~ fresh as a daisy... shiny gorgeous hair with volume. Perfect. BUT, and there is usually a BUT ...

The other day I went out in the rain to walk Spike ... and obviously ... the rain wet my hair ... and once wet again ... IT SMELLED LIKE BEER !! So now I have two choices ... never get caught in the rain ... or find a new "green" hair conditioning tonic.

Any ideas ??

No comments:

Post a Comment