Thursday, April 21, 2011

What Ever Happened to Matchbook Dating ...?


Tonight, I should be writing about Swampcat.. or Chloe .. but I am not ready for that yet. Maybe tomorrow. Tonight it will be light-hearted, about a time before Swampcat ...

Are you old enough to remember the days when bars and restaurants all had MATCHBOOKS ? The days before smoking was a criminal offense ?

A dear friend, an art collector, told me about an artist, Todd White. I looked at his pieces online. NICE. But one in particular caught my eye and brought me back to the 1970's .. to Sneaky Pete's; Mickey's Mousetrap; Muddy's Hole; Friar Tuck's Pub; The Purple Pub, The Shaker Inn .... and all the hangouts whose names now escape me.

The days when bars and restaurants had matchbooks ~ the cover being an ad for the establishment. The inside of the cover blank. The perfect place to write down a name and phone number.

That folks .. is matchbook dating. An era gone by. A great era when people connected with people ... not via text ... but via pen to paper. Via matchbooks.

I recently went to my favorite restaurant in Virginia Beach, The Raven. Maybe it is my favorite because they still have a bar ... that allows smoking ... and they have matchbooks. If lucky, one may leave with a matchbook... inscribed with a name and telephone number. The way it was done before 'technology.' The way I remember. The way it should be done.

Matchbook Dating .. try it sometime. Yeah ...Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment