Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Exception to the Rule ....



It is no secret to those who know me that "history" is my least favorite subject. As a matter of fact ... it is the only class I am lacking for a college degree ! I just could not get past my disdain of the dates and places and cause & effect and all the other mundane, inter-connected facts and details that make up "HISTORY."

A few months ago on Facebook.. a former high school friend mentioned her sister had written a great book. Ummm ... no bias there I'm sure. The book was a new release: Yawn .. ho hum.

NEWSFLASH ... the book is now recommended ny Oprah. That is no small feat. But no ~ it is about the Civil War era and women's involvement in the war. NOPE ! Not interested.

Curiously, it is set in NY ~ the Capital District area in the late 1800's. That might be worth looking at. Maybe ....

I went online and requested the first available copy it at the library ... and when it becomes available, I'll decide.
Tum De Dum ... Tum De Dum ... a few weeks pass then "You've Got Mail." Email from the library .. "My Name Is Mary Sutter" is available and ready to be picked up.

I got the book .. and committed myself to reading the first chapter before tossing it aside.

Well folks ... that first sitting went beyond the first chapter. And today I spent 2 1/2 hours sitting outside on my covered patio avoiding the chilly rain ... reading.

I am hooked and I am over halfway through and surprisingly I do not want it to end. This first time author will have her audience waiting with baited breath for her next book ... I know I already am.

Thanks Robin for opening my eyes to the joy of history. You have me yearning for more !

No comments:

Post a Comment