Friday, January 3, 2014

Year of Loss

Every year, folks experience loss.  It may be a job, health, financial security, friends, pets as well as other less obvious occurrences that cause grief or sorrow.

This year, I lost Alice.  You may have read about her in one of my blog posts back in 2009.  She was an extraordinary woman who was comfortable with herself, spoke genuinely, and gave her opinion if you asked.  She also loved animals.  All animals - domestic and wild.  I wish I had sent her just one more card or note.  Just one.

You are missed Alice. 

 
 
My second loss was of my dear Norland.  I wrote previously about the loss of pets in "Pet Passages" when I was hurting over the loss of Duri ... the most beautiful cat I have owned. (my apologies to the others).  Norland was a ball full of mischief and knew how to be naughty .. all the while making me laugh.
 
On October 26th of 2013 - a Saturday - I hadn't seen Norland for a bit and opened the front door to call him.  I immediately heard Norland - I couldn't see him - and his 'meow' sounded unusual.  It took a moment to realize he was in the storm drain on the street corner.  I ran over - lifted the heavy metal grate - and Norland hopped out as if he'd been expecting me.
 
He went in the house - ate - then immediately started carrying-on at the front door to go out.  With great reluctance, I let him out, knowing I was heading out to run errands.  As Spike and I walked to the car, Norland was on the step across the street watching me.  At that moment I sensed I may never see him again.  And I haven't. 
 
This is the last photo of Norland as he waits by the door to go back outside on October 26, 2013.  Hope you didn't suffer ~~
 

Every year there is loss.  2013 will always be remembered for the loss of two very dear souls in my life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment