Wednesday, August 19, 2015

"The Alchemist"

I read The Alchemist two days ago that a co-worker suggested it from her reading list.  The ensuing wait list at the library was lengthy, an indication of popularity, though not always merit. The book proved to be an easy read, albeit being abundant with thought provoking phrases and quotes that immediately distracted the reader into streaming thoughts of self-awareness and self-analysis.

"The Alchemist " has garnered many devotees on the web, each proclaiming their favorite passage or quote ~ the words that spoke personally to them.  As I read site after site of reader revelations, I am filled with wonder and curiosity that my favorite passage is rarely among those referred to.  Am I that unique?  (Ah yes, but we already know that. )

Personality quizzes I have taken online have come to the following conclusions about my inner workings; highly accurate conclusions I might add:


















Each of these veritable descriptions of my personality traits exudes a lust for knowledge and life; passion for my pursuits; and a fearlessness that frequently gives rise to impulsiveness.  And despite my reputed boldness, frequently bordering on rudeness, people are attracted to me and fascinated by the brash woman I am.  It is this particular combination of individual characteristics that left me mesmerized by one, only one passage in this entire book abundant with philosophies.

“There was a language in the world that everyone understood, a language the boy had used throughout the time that he was trying to improve things at the shop. It was the language of enthusiasm, of things accomplished with love and purpose, and as part of a search for something believed in and desired.”
                                                                   ― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
These words, dear reader, we're written for me.



Author's Note:  It cannot go without notice that the three blocks of genuine "personality analyses" included in this post were obtained by completing questionnaires online.  "Click, click, select, select, ENTER" and before the eyes, an inanimate computer can quickly spew out descriptive passages describing in accurate detail (assuming you provided accurate data) the person you are, an individual who took decades to evolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment