Thursday, July 30, 2015

Take Care and B-R-E-A-T-H-E

I do not like to take care of other living things. Just a fact. Too much responsibility, and to be honest, too much work. That could explain my three cats. Independent creatures who require nothing more than food, water, a clean litterbox, and scratches behind the ears & stroking while I am reading. In return, they kill mice and other critters that may creep in through the foundation cracks of my old home. They make me laugh with their antics. Perfect symbiotic relationship.

VanGogh

Mattisse

Twamper













































There is another symbiotic relationship occurring in my home. Another relationship that requires care, but as with my cats, a beneficial one for me. Plants.

For years there were no plants in my dwelling. Primarily, because they required care. Subsequently, when I did receive a plant as a gift, each one died an early death, which unknowingly at the time, was the result of over-watering. Thirdly, plants take up precious space. And lastly, plants can be messy with the dirt and water, and once again, if over-watered, the soil breeds little flying gnats. Lots of little flying gnats.

Surprisingly, these days, my home is quite littered with plants. Why? First of all, today’s world is full of toxins, an evil of the "advances" (I use that word loosely) in technology and manufacturing. Secondly, I have learned not to over-water them, so they live. Plants are my solution to air pollution. Open windows and plants, effective combination. But why is my house ‘littered’ with plants versus ‘accentuated’ with plants? Truth be known - I have developed a soft spot for dying houseplants on the clearance racks at big box stores. So I rescue them, and miraculously I have become pretty adept in my horticulture skills and they all seem to be thriving now. Hence the "littering."


A sampling of my plant collection
 


Mutually beneficial relationships: I take care of myself, a very daunting task, I take care of my cats and take care of my plants. The result of all this uncharacteristic nurturing, reminder - I am not a nurturer by nature, is the ability to sit back and breathe. Breathe sighs of relief for the critters not taking up residence at my address (thank you Mattisse, Van Gogh, and Absinthe aka Twamper); and for the clean air my plants manufacture for me. Symbiosis.

Note: Mother Nature once again tops technology in her manufacturing processes, for hers are beneficial.

Another Note: My cats have nibbled and eaten and sampled leaves off of every toxic plant in my home. Don’t believe all the hype about plants and cats … they are both (plants and cats) unharmed and thriving.

No comments:

Post a Comment