Monday, April 30, 2012

121 Days Late ... Better Than Never

I just realized I was not blogging in January 2012 because I had purged my home of all computers.  Due to this fact - I did not "proclaim" my ONE WORD for the year.  It took very little thought to select the five letter word that would dictate my actions in 2012.  PURGE
My posts from April 27th (clearing out "Stuff") and April 26th (eliminating weeds and my flowerbed) April 19th (returning my NOOK) April 8th (Spring Cleaning and giving away my sons' furniture) should have been a clue.  But it is not just stuff that clogs up your life and needs to be expended.  There is more, much more.


Guilt:  Everyone has guilt about something in their life, more realistically, MANY things in their life.  As mothers - the load seems to be a bit heavier as we assess the many ways we may have 'screwed up our kids.'  The older I get, the more it becomes apparent that you just have to let it go.  Easier said than done, but you can't change it so ... purge it.




Worry:  It has taken a long time to reach the realization that worry is frequently about the future, and many/most of the worrisome events never happen/occur.  Hence, time and energy have been wasted and stress has been carried over the speculative, not the definitive.  So I have vowed to worry less and concentrate more on what I know to be factual/actual.
<><> <><> <><>
I am not 'religious' ~ but this seems to capture my thoughts exactly.


T.M.I:  Too Much Information.  Never a fan of making wireless providers and cable companies rich; I have continued my pledge to stay disconnectedNewspapers use sensationalism to sell ... and it is that very feature that tends to overwhelm the senses, so I have purged newspapers from my home.  This too helps on Sundays - no longer faced with the inch thick slab of colorful ads that entice me to purchase the latest and greatest stuff that I did not even know I needed.  Television is another source of sensationalism, advertising, and reality (I use that word loosely) which overstimulate the mind and entices me to purchase the latest and greatest stuff that I did not know I needed. (Do you see a pattern developing here?)  Computers are great .... but before 'ya know it, many hours (wasted) have been spent at the keyboard mindlessly clicking on one link after another.  Too much news and too many facts and the blah-blah-blah of folks chronicling their every action on Facebook. TMI  Smartphones 'keep people connected.'  True, but at a cost.  People, especially the younger generations, have lost the ability to effectively interact one-on-one, person to person, in the real world.  The cyber/electronic world even has it's own language with no rules of grammar.  LOL, hv, U R, thx,  yada-yada-yada.  Purging media and social media has forced me to have a closer relationship with my local library. The intake of information is at a much slower pace; albeit, a more comfortable pace.




Stuff:  This topic has already been covered in several of my April posts.  I am still staring at stacks of clothes that need some sorting; and change of season purging. I wonder if Stacy London and Clinton Kelly will come help me out when it comes to clearing my closets ? But could I live through their critiques ? 

If all else fails, as the year progresses, a penny may help me with my purging decisions .... heads/tails = keep/toss.

No comments:

Post a Comment