Friday, April 6, 2012

The Book About Me


I was online checking out a book recommended by a co-worker ... when I noticed in the margins of the web page ... the book Quiet. I was immediately drawn to the simple grey cover with red lettering.
The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

It was one of those moments that will remain in the mind's forefront for days or weeks ... like an unsettling dream. One of those moments that you know is life changing. And it has been.

NOW ~ when friends, acquaintances and family comment about my "anti-social" behavior ... or about my resistance to attend LOUD and crowded events/social gatherings ... or question a home with no TV or computer ... NOW I can point to 'something.' Point to this book and say "If you really want to know ... "

Will they ? Probably not. But hopefully - curiousity might prompt a quick visit to wikipedia.

Introverts do not require other people to stay mentally stimulated...as a matter of fact, people & noise over-stimulate the introvert - drain them of energy. Their own mind is capable of being very interesting just by virtue that it is allowed to observe and think and be creative without the noise and distractions of everyday life. Solitude. Peaceful. QUIET.

Yes, this book has been life altering. It is validation. It actually brings a smile to know I share lifestyle characteristics with great people like Einstein, Abraham Lincoln, Beethoven, Richard Gere, Marilyn Monroe, Bach, .... just to name a few.

It looks like I am in good company ... but then again ... I find myself company enough. You get it, don't you Roger?

No comments:

Post a Comment