Friday, May 15, 2009

My 'One Word'


Jump back to the first week of January, 2009. I was visiting the blog of a friend who was sharing the concept of "one word resolutions" for the year .. and she had a link to another blog, that of Christine Kane. I paid a visit to the site and dutifully chose my word for 2009. DISCIPLINE.

I have made a valiant effort to remind myself frequently of my commitment to develop more discipline. I even created a scrolling screen saver on my laptop as a reminder. I've been doing OK, just OK. I have over 6 months left in 2009 and feel confident I can make significant progress. I do still lapse occasionally.

For example: This past Tuesday, I was online at Amazon.com trying to locate an art journaling book. I found one that looked interesting, then another, then another, then ... well you get the picture. And before that darn DISCIPLINE screen saver could appear and 'remind' me -- I had pushed the SEND button and ordered six art journaling books .. due to arrive by May 20th.

I am already looking forward to 2010 when I can pick a new One Word Resolution. I am leaning toward "Impulsive." That is one virtue (it is a virtue, isn't it?) of which I am clearly aware of the concept... so I should experience an overwhelming sense of accomplishment throughout 2010, much more so than 2009.

If you had to pick one word, what would yours be?

1 comment: