Thursday, June 4, 2009

Completely "Entangled".... well almost



It all started a year ago ... when a person I knew "just a bit" asked for my creative input on a project she was passionate about. I had lots of ideas about "my vision" for "her project" .. but reined in my exurberance, because afterall, it was her "passion," not mine.

Her passion is to educate women on the toxicity of products that are a part of our everyday life. Beauty products mostly. OK, sure I like being creative, I'll help. BUT I was hell bent that I was definitely not giving up my Lancome; Estee Lauder; and L'Oreal - those creamy great smelling miracles in a jar. And Clorox would remain my cleaner of choice !

This person, who I knew "just a bit" ~ listened to my ideas, mulled them, tossed most and used a few. But throughout the process, made me feel appreciated. Ahhh gee. So one day, when we were working on a display in Vermont, I wanted to express my appreciation and validate her hard work as she had validated mine. So, when she was not looking, I grabbed a few items off the display and purchased some of her "non-toxic" products. She noticed, but said little.

Armed with my grapefruit hand & body lotion; peppermint lip gloss, sweet orange lip gloss and face scrub, we bid our good-byes, and off we went in separate directions.

Once in the car, buckling up for my one hour trip home, I peeked in the earthy brown paper bag and pulled out the sweet orange lip gloss ... Now I could have dug through my purse to find my white tube (with gold embellishments) of Revlon lip enhancing - age-defying gloss, but this was more easily accessible. Open, apply ...oh my, that's great ... love the orange. Off I went.

Halfway home, stopped at a traffic light .. ummm .. that hint of orange was nice ... hurry before the light changes ... apply some more. Refreshing.

That evening, I tried the face scrub. Nice, not harsh. The next morning, the scent of grapefruit lingered after applying the light body lotion. Clearly, I was just being "ambushed" by the scents. The peppermint lip gloss seemed to make the freshness of squeaky clean teeth last just a little bit longer. Yeah, right ... OK, enough fuss.

Today, a year later, I have new convictions...new objectives. My armoire is full of beauty products that not only make me look good, they make me feel good. No Lancome, Estee Lauder, nor L'Oreal ...

My cleaning cabinet has a $5 bottle of Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds Cleaner. Certified Fair Trade, non toxic ... it cleans everything. Smells fresh too.

And last night ... I went online to put myself on the auto-delivery system for Green Mountain Fair Trade, Organic coffee ... Newman's Own. I cannot give up my coffee, but I can become a more conscious consumer.

That is how I became "entangled." The dictionary defines the word as ~Entangled (in/with): involved with something or someone in a way that makes it difficult to escape. The truth is, I don't want to "escape" the urge to persist with my new convictions and objectives.

I cannot claim to have reached the level termed "passion" for this development taking place in my life. I still have a secret vice ... which I have kept hidden until now. I still must paint my toenails red, (toxic red?) because it makes me feel good. My feet are one of the few parts of my body where the delicate structure of my bones is still evident thru the firm flesh (made firm by my Grapefruit lotion) ....

I paint my toes red in 'celebration' ... in 'celebration' of feeling good, and in 'celebration' about making wiser choices in my life!!

3 comments:

  1. Nice paint job! hehe ...

    Yeah ... i'm completely "entangled" too ... visiting your blog! woohoo!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know I was so multi-talented ~ did you ?
    Thanks for reading ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Entangled is a good thing and we've only just begun!

    To help another make changes for the better in their life is a wonderful feeling and an addictive one. If we were all additicted to the "good" things in life - what a beautiful place this would be.

    ReplyDelete