Monday, June 8, 2009

The ABSTRACT of Control ....


Last night .....

At 7PM, the phone rang, it was my friend. Well, actually, he is my 'co-worker,' I must keep things in perspective. He sounded tired. He sounded defeated. His small son is ill, cancer, and the illness has control. Control of the family.

While talking, I heard the door in the background swing open, and the words, "He's bleeding." Followed by "I'll call you back."~~CLICK.
The illness, has 'entered' again, through the door in the background. I am thrust into the reality of their lives, held hostage. What is happening?

A half hour later, the phone rings and he says "Everything is under control." But it really isn't.

He always told me that I can accomplish anything I put my mind to, but we know that is not true anymore. His son's illness has changed my world. I cannot cure. I cannot take away fear. My band-aid is not big enough.

Recently, I hurt him. I secretly hoped he would push me away. I wanted to escape his world with "illness." Put it in a little compartment and lock it away. Then I could move on. Afterall, he is only my 'co-worker.' But why did I hurt him? I have control, the choice to walk away. He does not.

Just like "illness" - life is not tidy. He is my friend. Using words, like 'co-worker,' cannot alter that.

I am scared. Can I find the courage to walk this journey with my friend?

Yes, because in his eyes, I can accomplish anything I put my mind to.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your friends situation. I wish that his son will heal and get well soon. I'm sure your presence (being there) helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear friend Durian Guy. You will never know how much your kind thoughts mean to me.

    As my blog indicates ... I am still finding my way with this situation ~ but as always, your encouragement provides an extra boost in the right direction.

    I will share your kind words with Greg and his family. *HUG*

    ReplyDelete