Thursday, June 11, 2009

Mikie ... a friendship that "just happened"




After my divorce in 2002, I bought a beautiful brick tudor home on water in Norfolk, VA. My home was eclipsed only by the one next door, a massive 3500 sq foot brick home with amazing detail, arched doors, coved ceilings, copper gutters and an acre yard shaded by giant trees and graced by grape arbors.

The house was owned by two old friends, George and Mikie. George is a homebody. Mikie, the proverbial gypsy, always traveling and visiting friends, would make an appearance on Norland Circle about once a month .... for a day or a week, before heading out again.

I lived on Norland Circle for 3 years. During that time, George and I would have our Saturday evening contest of who could manicaure their yard most perfectly (he usually won by just a blade of grass). It was a neighborhood joke.

George and I spent lazy hot afternoons sitting on his porch with ceiling fans gently moving the heavy, humid air. George served cold Diet Coke as I swung gently on the wooden bench swing, suspended on chains from the ceiling. George sat across from me on his wooden glider with his Diet Coke, smoking cigarettes - while always proclaiming "I should quit." His faithful dog Wheezie by his feet.

About once a month, Mikie, would stop by, check his mail, and stay for a "visit." He would tell of his latest adventures - Key West, New Jersey, or working on a friend's farm. The stillness of Norland Circle ended with Mikie's arrival. He was a ball of energy - never sat still.

The minute Mikie pulled in the driveway - he would get out of his car and clean and polish it - top to bottom. Then he would shower - and he and I would visit. George would disappear into the house with Wheezie and Mike and I would 'catch-up.'

This went on for three years. George and I always "hanging out" and Mikie making his appearances. In 2005 I decided it was time to move back up North to my hometown after a 24 year absence. When the SOLD sign went up on my house, George was beside himself .. Mikie chatted like always.

Two years after I moved, in 2007, George's beloved Wheezie died. All his friend's thought he would die right along with her ... from a broken heart. I contacted Mikie, via email, upon hearing of Wheezie's death - the first time I had ever contacted him despite having always had his phone number tucked in my wallet. I wanted to check up on how George was doing.

Something happened with that "first contact" ... that first email. Mikie and I were like two inseperable friends - torn apart and once again united.

Since that day in 2007 - that first email - Mikie and I have been in each other's lives on a daily basis. We help each other thru struggles, we laugh, we debate politics, he calls me "names" because I get emotional and hence "Outta control." Many a night I wake up and find myself holding the phone ... and I immediately know I have fallen asleep during one of our late night chats. Mike just hangs up knowing I have to be at work in the morning ... and figures we will finish the conversation some other time.

Mikie and I have only seen each other once since I left Virginia in 2005. He came to visit me in NY, for two days, arriving on June 13th 2008. He was restless - but we had a great time.

Mike and I always end our conversations, spats, debates and arguments with "I love you." Our friendship somehow "happened" when Wheezie died. Mikie is my rock when the world is crumbling and he is the person I share all my joys with.

I do not know if and when I will ever see Mikie again. But that is not important - he is in my life everyday.

This kind, brilliant man fills a void in my life that I never knew existed until that fateful email, when in his normal fashion, Mike "stopped in for a visit" ... but thank goodness ... this time he never left.

2 comments:

  1. that's a real massive house you've got there and very nice too! My first reaction ... how long does it take to clean the house i.e. sweep and mop? I'll probably take ages!

    Hey, u hv space (in front of your hse) for a few Durian trees ... hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a lucky find .. both the house and the neighbors !

    All the floors were wood .. and little furniture .. so not too much to clean.

    :)

    ReplyDelete