Monday, June 1, 2009

"Who" is Durian ?



On May 16th, I noticed a comment on my "My One Word" post. WOW - someone is reading my blog ! Anxiously, I checked to see which of my friends was sending encouragement in my direction. Imagine my surprise to see the comment was from "Durian Guy - Malaysia" He said his one word would be "faith" and he ended with "Good Luck" as it was only my second day of blogging.

Curiousity got the best of me, so I started poking around. Turns out this Durian Guy IS in Malaysia - and also a new-comer to blogging on his spot "Durian talk ... spikes, smell and richness"

A visit to Durian's blog reveals a lively character who displays an excellent command of the written English language. His stories are animated and engaging - very tactile in that his words activate my senses as if I too were with him experiencing life. Ummm ...like eating "curry fish head" (oh my ..); playing golf while the sun pierces thru the skin like a thousand stinging bees (Malaysia is a tropical country near the equator); and the noise of children playing after school, their antics vividly described.

A few days ago another comment - this time on my "What Is In An Email Address?" post. "Durians is the King of all fruits.... and I like them very much....that's where it inspired me to use durianguy@hotmail.com"

Oh my ! My fellow blogger, who I had known as Durian, was suddenly nameless .. and actually a "fruit?"

Google search. YAHOO search. Malaysia - a gorgeous and culturally rich country in Southeast Asia ... is also a native country to durian.

From Wikipedia:
"Widely known and revered in southeast Asia as the "king of fruits", the durian is distinctive for its large size, unique odour, and formidable thorn-covered husk."

I now understand the 'nameless' blogger's blog ... spikes, smells and richness. But it seems the "SMELL" is the foremost characteristic of the 'durian' fruit.

Excerpts from Wikipedia:
In regard to the 'odour' of durian - westerners are quite graphic.
British novelist Anthony Burgess writes that eating durian is "like eating sweet raspberry blancmange in the lavatory."

Anthony Bourdain, chef, while a lover of durian, relates his encounter with the fruit as thus: "Its taste can only be described as...indescribable, something you will either love or despise. ...Your breath will smell as if you'd been French-kissing your dead grandmother."

Travel and food writer Richard Sterling says:“ ... its odor is best described as pig-shit, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away.

So what have we learned today?
- Durian is a 'what', not a 'who'
- Durian is a fruit, not the name of my fellow blogger (who is now nameless)
- Durian is a fruit that elicits the use of many 'very descriptive' adjectives
- And, although I may never know the real name of Durian Guy - the nameless blogger, he has nonetheless enriched my life by expanding my world to the other side of the globe and "activated my senses."

....and I thank him

2 comments:

  1. I shld be the one to thank you for inspiring me and your encouragement. I’m indeed overwhelmed, excited and honored … never had anyone write about me, the insignificant little guy from the other side of the globe ... mmm ... sniff ... must be the dust that got into my little wet, red eye of mine ... sniff. A gigantically humongous thank you to you. Smooch ... that’s my little blogkiss ... hope my spike didn’t leave a mark on your lovely cheek.

    Btw, how can "these" people make such comment about me ... Whilst I agree that my scent can be spread to quite a distance, how can they compare me, the King of all fruits, with dung, vege, cheap nylon and dead people? U know how hapless creature protect themselves, right? Durians protect itself with spikes and the “great” smell. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insignificant ...never.

    I am honestly intrigued now by durian .. and to think I had never heard of "it" (or "him") a month ago.

    Stay tuned dear friend ... we shall watch ourselves evolve thru our writing.

    ReplyDelete