Sunday, July 19, 2009

Detour ~ Wrong Number .... and then life just happened.

This post may seem like rambling ... but in the end ... it all comes together as if scripted.

Yesterday while running errands my "route" was rudely interrupted by a street roped off for a Block Party. I twisted and turned through unfamiliar neighborhoods until I got back on track. Umm .. must remind myself to use a different route on the way back.

Heading home - I remembered to take a detour. I drove past an old deteriorating steel mill. A dark depressing sight that eerily reminded me of a concentration camp. (Sorry - but that is exactly what images were conjured up)

Onward, I continued up the dismal road, rounded a slight curve, when suddenly my eyes were overwhelmed by color - a distinct, yet delightful contrast to the sights I had just passed. A Lime 'n Lilac building. It made me smile and feel happy. I promised myself I would return later in the day, with my camera, to snap a few pictures.

Once back home - I glanced at my to-do list. "Call Mom's neighbor to inquire about contractor." OKAY The answering machine picked up after three rings. I was midway leaving a message when a slightly out of breath woman picked up the phone. "Sorry - I heard the phone and ran in from outside ..."

I introduced myself and explained my mother lived around the corner from her on Teresa Street. "Where is Teresa Street ?" she replied. A bit confused, I said "At the bottom of Eva when you take the curve - it becomes Teresa. Don't you live on Eva Street ?" She laughed "No, but how can I help you ?"

I told her I was trying to get the name of a contractor and apologized for bothering her. She immediately started telling me about her "handyman" whom she adored and provided his contact information. I said "thank you"

She continued with her name and explained she was fairly new to the area .. told me where she lived. I was a bit unclear .. so she said "Would you be coming by way of Muddy's ?" I had no idea what or who Muddy's was and said "Coming from Latham." We chatted a bit more and I made a mental note to call her some day and invite her to coffee.

At 7PM, looking for one more excuse to put off mowing my lawn ... I grabbed the camera - put Spike in the car - and cranked up the stereo with music to match the mood induced by the quirky building from earlier in the day. I drove to the Lime 'n Lilac building - turned onto the side street so I could snap a few pictures ... the side of the building was so "fun." I noticed a little pull-off in front of the building and steered the car to it so I could get a few pictures of the building's front.


As I aimed and looked thru the view finder ... I stopped ... lowered the camera so I could get an unobstructed view of the building. The sign hanging above the door said "Muddy's" ... a name I had heard earlier in the day from a stranger.

UMM ....in one day .. within 7 hours ...

~ I was forced to take a detour

~ I came upon a delightful Lime 'n Lilac building

~ I called a wrong number and "met" a delightful stranger ...

~ Who mentioned "Muddy's"

~ I returned to the Lime 'n Lilac building to take pictures of it

~ And thru the lens of my camera, I discovered Muddy's AKA my Lime 'n Lilac building

~ One in the same.

I have always believed that "life just happens" .... but in the fairy tale world of Lime 'n Lilac buildings ...does it really?

No comments:

Post a Comment